The lower abs—more specifically the lower belly seems to never bulge no matter how much training or abs workouts you do.
This region of your abs are very difficult to strengthen and flatten because that is where your body stores most of its excess fat.
So, how do you lose the lower belly bulge and get muscle definition to show in the lower abs?
Not only training these specific groups of muscles will give you a more toned midsection and ease your bathing-suit anxiety, research shows that the stronger these core muscles are, the healthier your lower back will be.
Not sure how to work the lower belly muscles?
- Reverse crunch
- Cross Body Mountain Climbers
- Elbow to knee Crunch
If you are ready to show your lower abs who the boss is, grab your yoga or exercise mat and let’s do this workout.
Perform each exercise in sequence. Do 12-15 reps for a total of 2-3 sets. Take rest as needed.
* Scroll down past the workout to the full detail of each exercise to ensure proper form and safety.
1. Reverse Crunch
- Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground. Put your hands besides your head or extend them out flat to your sides.
- Lift your feet off the ground to the point where your legs and feet are pointing straight towards the ceiling. Keep knees slightly bent. Once in this position, press your lower back on the floor as you contract your abdominal muscles to lift your tailbone and butt off the ground. Make sure not to use momentum.
- When you lift your legs, image reaching the ceiling with your toes. Do 12-15 reps.
2. Scissors Crunch
- Lie on your back with your feet together, legs extended, and hands flat on the floor next to your sides.
- Raise your right foot straight up to the ceiling and keep your left leg extended and your left foot a few inches off the floor. Slightly lift up your upper torso off the floor to perform a crunch and switch leg.
- Keep alternating between your legs until you complete 12 to 15 reps per leg.
3. Cross-Body Mountain Climbers
- Get down into a pushup position with your arms completely straight. Your body should form a straight line from your shoulders to the ankle.
- Contract your abs and lift your right foot off the floor. Bring your right knee towards your left shoulder.
- Return to the starting position and repeat with your left leg. Continue alternating for 12-15 reps per leg. keep your body straight and hips low at all times. Do them slowly at first and as you mater the move, you pick up your speed.
4. Elbow-to-knee Reverse Crunch
- Assume the start position as shown in the image, laying flat on your back and crossing your left ankle over your right knee.
- Support your head with hands, and contract your abs as you lift both your shoulders and legs off the floor.
- Bring your right elbow towards your left knee. Alternate sides and repeat until you complete 12-15 reps per side.
- Start in the standard plank position with your body forming a straight line from head to heels.
- Lower yourself until you are resting on your forearms. Keep forearms parallel to each other with hands flat on the ground. Hold for as long as you can up to 60 seconds.
There you have it!
A quick and simple lower ab routine with bodyweight exercises only.
You can do this lower abs exercises anywhere and anytime. Do this routine and pair that with a well-balanced diet, you'll see your unwanted lower belly fat melt away.
Don't forget to come back to leave a comment to let us known which lower abs exercises you felt the most.