Creamy Flavorful Hungarian Mushroom Soup Is the Soul-Warming Comfort Food You Need Right Now
This savory Hungarian mushroom soup is creamy, cozy comfort food that warms up your soul.
It has a boast of umami flavor that sets itself apart from the classic and traditional mushroom soup.
With a variety of mushrooms, paprika, and sour cream, it’s one recipe that comes with a depth of flavors.
Not to mention, despite the creaminess of the soup, this recipe keeps it lighter and low-carb. It’s one healthy soup that gives comfort without guilt.
If you are a foodie, you’ll also love this elevated, sophisticated creamy soup. It’s easy enough to be your everyday soup yet has the sophistication for fancy occasions.
There are many ingredients that set this soup apart, but one key ingredient that makes it Hungarian is paprika.
It’s a staple spice in Hungarian cuisine. In fact, paprika is the word for pepper in Hungarian.
Hungarian paprika is rather sweet than smoked. So if you are looking for some authenticity, go for paprika that’s not smoked. Paprika adds not only the golden color to this warm soup but also the distinctive flavor to the mix.
Soy sauce and sour cream are the hidden umami flavors, so don’t skip those!
Together, it’s tangy, creamy, and savory. It’s full of everyday comfort and wholesomeness with an earthy tone while feeling the modern elegance in every single bite. It’s one soup you can’t get enough of all winter long.
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
This savory Hungarian mushroom soup is creamy, cozy comfort food that warms up your soul. It's the perfect soup dish for when you want to be cozy.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 16 ounces of fresh crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 16 ounces of fresh champignon mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons paprika powder
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- chopped fresh dill or parsley, for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter and saute the garlic, onions, and mushrooms until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the paprika, dried thyme, dried dill, and soy sauce and stir. Add chicken broth and white wine. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine the cream and flour in a small mixing bowl. Slowly add the mixture to the soup and whisk consistently for about 10 minutes.
- When the soup starts to thicken, lower the heat to low. Add the lemon juice and sour cream. Season it with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh dill on top.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 539Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 2241mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 13g
This Hungarian mushroom soup is the ultimate comfort food for the soul. It’s quick and easy to make, yet mushrooms and paprika create a layer of flavor that’s undeniably irresistible. This cozy soup is perfect for everyday weekday dinners and fancy occasions.