This Skillet Chicken With Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce Recipe Is Superb
Juicy, seasoned chicken simmered in tangy, creamy, and savory lemon garlic sauce is one dinner you’ll daydream about all day long. It’s a simple chicken dish with loads of flavors and aroma.
But the star of the show is the sauce, made with Italian spices, onions, lemon, garlic, and cream; these simple ingredients make a vibrant dish that is easily modified to be keto-friendly, gluten-free, and low-carb.
It’s easy to get burned out on chicken dishes, but this chicken with garlic sauce recipe will shake things up at dinner.
If you are looking for a keto version of this recipe, easily omit the flour dredging on the chicken for a low-carb creamy chicken dish. If you prefer chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, you can easily swap them for one another.
This simple recipe is elevated by a good amount of seasoning, cream, and a burst of lemon throughout, making it a balanced dish with fat and acid. Serve your chicken with lemon cream sauce over pasta or rice.
For a low-carb option, serve your chicken with lemon garlic sauce over zucchini noodles or alongside a vegetable like sauteed broccoli or asparagus.
You’ll also like:
- This Sticky Chinese Lemon Chicken Recipe Is So Good You Will Want to Make It Every Night for Dinner
- This Mediterranean Sheet Pan Greek Chicken Make The Perfect Dinner
How to Make Chicken with Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
First, gather all of your ingredients and prepare them. Season your chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice over the chicken filets, making sure to coat each piece evenly. If you are using flour, add it to a shallow bowl or large plate and dredge each piece of chicken, shaking off the excess. Set aside until ready to cook.
Mince your garlic and chop your onion, preparing them to go into the pan once your chicken is cooked. Measure out any liquids such as chicken broth, cream, and lemon juice for your pan sauce. Also, measure out your dried spices for your sauce. Now you are ready to begin.
Using a large skillet, heat the pan over medium-high heat and add your butter and oil. Add each piece of chicken into the pan and fry until golden brown on each side for about 5 minutes. Depending on the thickness of your chicken, this could take longer. Once cooked to 165 degrees internally, remove the chicken and place it on a clean plate.
Lower your pan’s heat to medium and add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook the aromatics until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the chicken stock, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go. Reduce the stock down slightly for about 5 minutes, and add the cream. Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer until it thickens, keeping a close eye on the cream, so it does not burn. If the sauce does not thicken enough, add your cornstarch slurry to the pan and give it a few more minutes.
To your creamy pan sauce and continue to simmer gently. Next, the Italian herbs are stirred into the sauce before adding your chicken back into the pan. Cover the chicken on both sides with the sauce before removing it to plate over pasta, rice, zucchini noodles, or alongside a vegetable. Add a garnish of more lemon wedges and a sprinkle of minced parsley, if you’d like.
Skillet Chicken With Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
This super simple lemon chicken with garlic sauce will please the palate of you and your family!
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced horizontally in half to make 4 even pieces
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour; omit this ingredient if you are low-carb
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ¼ cup chicken stock
- ⅔ cup cream; you can use light or heavy cream
- 1 tsp cornstarch, mix this with 1 tbsp water to make a slurry
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice, depending on preference
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Gather all ingredients for the recipe and prepare them before you start cooking.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over all 4 filets, rubbing it into each to make sure they are all coated. If using flour, add it to a shallow bowl or large dish and dredge each filet, shaking the excess flour off and setting it aside.
- Heat a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add the butter and oil to the pan. Allow it to heat and check that it is ready by sprinkling a small amount of flour or water in the pan. If it sizzles, you are ready to add your chicken.
- Fry all chicken pieces until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your chicken. When the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees, transfer your chicken to a clean plate.
- Next, add your diced onion and minced garlic to the pan and cook until the onion is translucent and fragrant about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the chicken stock. Seasoning with salt and pepper, reduce the liquids down, about 5 minutes. Add the cream and bring to a gentle simmer, allowing it to thicken while stirring often to avoid any burning. If you would like a thicker sauce, add the cornstarch slurry and mix through, allowing it to thicken.
- Next, pour in the lemon juice and simmer gently for another minute. Mix in the Italian seasoning. Add your chicken back into the pan and cover it on all sides with the sauce before plating.
- Plate your chicken and garnish with a lemon wedge and minced parsley. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 430Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 814mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 24g