Want bigger biceps? If you want to grow your bicep muscles, then doing the same old bicep curls every arm workout won’t cut it. To grow bigger and stronger biceps, you need an arm workout that stimulates growth in your biceps. In this article, I’ll share the single best arm exercise that’ll help you increase bicep size.
But before we get to the exercise, let’s briefly cover the bicep muscle.
The biceps are the muscles at the front of your upper arms.
The biceps consists of two muscles, the short head bicep brachii, and the long head bicep brachii.
Both bicep brachii runs from the shoulder blade, the scapula to the forearm.
You’ll also like:
- The One Exercise You Should Be Doing If You Want Bigger Chest Muscles
- The One Exercise You Should Be Doing to Grow Your Shoulders, Says a Trainer
How to Grow Your Biceps
Growing your biceps bigger takes more than just doing different bicep exercises. To make your biceps bigger, you’ll need to increase the overall volume of your arm training.
Volume is a measurement of the total weight lifted, you get this by using the following equation: Sets x reps x weight. For example, let’s say you did 3 sets x 10 reps of 50 kg hammer curls. You have performed 30 reps of 50 kg for a total volume of 1,500 kg.
One of the easiest ways to increase your training volume without spending hours in the gym is using a method called a superset.
Supersetting is when you perform multiple exercises that target different muscle groups back to back, with little to no rest.
The super setting helps increase the blood flow to your arms and delivers nutrients. This helps you build the biceps muscles and also works for all adjacent muscle groups with no downtime.
The best biceps exercise is the one that activates and creates contraction of the biceps. To identify the single best arm exercise, the ACE researchers studied the effectiveness of eight biceps moves. The one that activated the biceps the most was concentration curl.
The concentration curl isolates the biceps muscles and contracts the muscles more than any other exercise. This makes this dumbbell exercise the single most effective one for your upper arms.
To do a concentration curl:
- Set up a sturdy bench. Sit at the end of it with your feet firmly planted on the ground. Adjust your legs, so they are open in a V shape.
- Grab a dumbbell with one hand with your palm facing in.
- Rest your elbow on your inner thigh and slightly lean forward without arching your back.
- Rest your other elbow on the other thigh for balance and stability.
- Slowly curl up the weight toward your shoulder.
- As you curl up, turn your wrist in slightly so your palm ends up facing your shoulder.
- Pause for a second and return with control. Repeat 12-15 times. Switch arms at the end.
You can superset this exercise with either a pushup or dumbbell chest press.
- 1 set x 10 reps: concentration curl
- 1 set x 10 reps: pushups or dumbbell chest press
This is one way to increase your arm workout volume to increase muscle growth in your arms.