10 delicious, easy healthy meals for weight loss.
No matter which mainstream diets like Keto, Paleo you follow, what you eat matters if you want to lose weight.
Within your chosen dietary discipline, you have to make wise food choices.
This is because certain foods are more nutritious and nourishing to your body. They also tend to be more filling than others, which further helps you lose weight by keeping hunger at bay.
Those foods are what you want to include in your healthy diet plan.
There are also other foods that are nothing but empty calories. Some may even be harmful to the body by spiking insulin and elevating blood sugar levels.
If you want to lose weight and keep it off, what you eat and the number of calories you eat matters significantly.
They can help you drop pounds in a healthy way or stall your weight loss and even cause a weight gain.
So to have a successful weight loss, it's important you base your diet on healthy foods.
To get you started on eating right for your slim down, we came up with some healthy meal ideas.
Below, you see a list of 10 nutrient-dense, healthy meals that' ll help you lose weight.
Note, they are not particular to any dietary discipline. See the ingredients to see if they meet your diet requirements.
These meals are all based on wholesome foods. They are uber nutritious, filling and delicious.
And most importantly, they are easy to make and quite budget friendly.
If you are a breakfast eater, don't start your morning with a carb-filled meal. Conventional cereals, muffins, and pastries are full of sugar and can make you tired fast.
Instead, start your day with a protein-packed filling meal. It takes longer to digest, giving you more satiety than other types of meals and keeping your hunger at bay.
For a starter, I have egg cups.
This recipe is low in carbohydrates and high in protein. It's also loaded with healthy fats that are perfect for a diet like a keto diet.
The combination of the avocado with bacon and eggs makes this a savory meal. It's a perfect portable weight loss meal your whole family would love.
This recipe also illustrates how you don't have to be afraid of healthy fats. Fats like avocado fats are considered healthy fats and should be part of your weight loss diet.
If you are lacking vegetables and fiber in your meals lately, I suggest you add in spinach and bell peppers. They'll add bold flavors and add in more nutrients to the egg muffins.
If you like savory meals, you'll enjoy these little egg cups. Get the recipe here...
Not to be lenient on a keto diet, but I'd like to add in one more breakfast that incorporates healthy fat.
It's this bacon cheese egg muffins. I know some of you are bacon and cheese lovers, so I think you'll find this a great find.
While bacon and cheese may not sound like a great weight loss foods, they can be part of your diet if you use them wisely. And this recipe does a good job showing how losing weight doesn't resort to eating celery sticks all day.
In fact, you can indulge in things you love in moderation and still lose weight.
This cheese egg muffin recipe tastes amazing and super low in carb. It's also high in protein. All main ingredients, bacon, cheese, and eggs are protein sources, and they keep you full till lunch.
Note, this recipe uses turkey bacon, which is far leaner than pork bacon. I recommend you abide by this meat choice since you have fattiness from cheese already.
It's also portable making these muffins a great on-the-go breakfast.
When losing weight, these cheesy muffins are far more effective than sugary muffins. They won't spike up your insulin and blood sugar levels like chocolate muffins you grab on your way to work.
Need filling snacks that are ready in seconds at home? I'd double the recipe and freeze the rest. When you need them, reheat for 30 seconds and you have a healthier breakfast option than cereal.
Grab your recipe here, and make 2 batches this weekend.
3. Banana Oatmeal with Nuts
For those with a sweet tooth, here is your breakfast option you can indulge in.
This recipe, Banana Oatmeal with Nuts makes an excellent healthy meal that'll fill you up. By using whole grain oats, you are slowing your digestions and increasing satiety. You are also upping your nutritional intake, which is a huge plus for your weight loss.
They're gluten-free and rich in fiber. If you struggle to be regular, this oatmeal breakfast may help with that.
The trick is not to add in any added sugar. You have a banana to sweeten it and nuts to add nuttiness. If you must, drizzle a teaspoon of honey.
Other options to sweeten your oatmeal is to add in dark chocolate chips. If you are adding in chocolate, choose a pack with over 75% cacao.
Here is how to make your delicious banana oatmeal.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 3/4 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole grain oats
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 2 teaspoons of honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- Combine the milk, water, and salt in a medium saucepan; heat up until almost boiling.
- Add oats. Cook, stirring until creamy— about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sliced banana and honey. Divide among 2 bowls. Sprinkle with walnuts and enjoy!
Total time: 10 minutes
4. Avocado Poached Egg Toast
Avocado toast is not just a hot trend. It's a nutritional powerhouse full of nutrients and healthy fats. Not to mention, it's super delicious.
If you love avocado, this will instantly be your go-to breakfast.
The heart-healthy fat of avocado and protein from the egg also makes this a balanced meal. Let's also not forget the fiber you'll get from whole grain bread is a welcome addition.
If your philosophy on a weight loss diet is to eat a lot of wholesome foods, this recipe is your solid choice.
This recipe is also super easy too, so no cooking skills necessary.
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- 1/2 Avocado
- Salt and pepper for topping
- Fresh herbs such as parsley and basil
- 1/4 heirloom tomatoes
- Crack each egg into a small bowl. Fill your small-sized pot with water about halfway and bring it to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and gently drop the egg into the water. Poach for 4-5 minutes with a lid on. If you like your egg soft, shorten your cook time. Scoop out each egg and discard any water.
- Toast the bread and smash the avocado on each piece of toast. Top it with a slice of tomato. Gently place each egg on your toast and season it with salt and pepper. Place fresh herbs before serving. Serve it with a side of tomatoes.
Total time: 7 minutes
5. Greek Yogurt Parfait
If you are looking for a great weight loss snack option, look no further. Greek yogurt is my favorite snack when hunger strikes between meals.
I say Greek yogurt with at most specification. While yogurt, in general, is a great source of calcium and potassium, Greek yogurt is a superior choice.
It has double the protein, half the carbs, and typically half the sodium of regular yogurt.
Texture wise, it's richer, creamier, and denser.
When you pair it with fresh fruits, it's dense in fiber and other nutrients like antioxidants.
I also love that you can buy one at any grocery store. It's one option I look for during my travel, knowing its superb nutrient content.
The best of all, it's literally a great tasting treat.
With a double dose of protein, it brings satiety and fills your hunger right away. I also like that you can go savory or sweet with Greek yogurt.
Love chocolate? Add cocoa powder. Want to comfort food? Add nut-based granola.
You can also drop a pinch of sea salt and drizzle honey for a salty and sweet taste.
Your options are practically endless.
Here are some of my favorite toppings: chia seeds, granola, berries, and honey.
Total time: 2 minutes
Ingredients: (serves 1)
- 1/2 cup of plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup of nut-based granola
- 1/2 cup of berries (blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries)
- 1 tsp of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of Manuka honey
- Spoon half a cup of yogurt into a small bowl. Top it with granola, chia seeds, and your choice of berries. Drizzle with Manuka honey. Enjoy!
6. Chocolate, Blueberry Smoothie
Here is another breakfast or snack option that's perfect for weight loss. A healthy smoothie can be a great weight loss food depending on what you put in.
It's a perfect opportunity to add in nutritious foods like kale, spinach, green tea, and even
And the combination of two superfoods, blueberries, and dark chocolate just make things that much sweeter in terms of nutrient density.
Both are an antioxidants powerhouse.
Antioxidants, which fights free radicals and destructive molecules and prevents heart disease and other ailments, says Mauro Serafini, Ph.D., of Italy’s National Institute for food and nutrition.
Dark chocolate too is awesome for your health, but be sure to select ones with over 70% cacao. Here is a post on dark chocolate benefits if you are interested.
It's certainly a guilt-free drink great for overall health— even while on diet.
Ingredients: (1 serving)
- 1 ½ cups of organic dark chocolate
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 banana (sliced)
- ¾ cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of Manuka honey
- Take all of the ingredients, throw them in a blender, and blend for 30-60 seconds. Viola! You’re done! Pour it all into a glass (or a travel mug/bottle) and enjoy.
- OK, time to each lunch.
7. Niçoise Sandwich
Unless you are Paleo, it's hard to imagine a complete meal plan without a sandwich.
This sandwich is a lunchtime stable, easy to make and great for on-the-go.
The simplicity of stuffing tons of healthy ingredients between two slices of bread is very appealing because it requires no cooking skills. I mean none.
Two slices of whole grain or spelt bread, you favorite lean protein (chicken, tuna, or turkey), and some veggies, are all you need.
- 6 oz. can of albacore tuna or any other lean protein of your choice.
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- ¼ pitted black olives (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 slices of whole grain or spelt bread.
- kale leaves (optional)
- Place the tuna in a bowl and smash with a fork. Add the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, combine the tuna, tomatoes, olives, onion, pepper, and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Toast your bread if desired. Spread that mixture on one of the toasts, place kale leaves over, and cover with the other toast. Serve and enjoy!
Tuna is an excellent source of high protein and full of omega-3 fatty acids. They not only provide good fats but also bring many health benefits to your brain, hair, and even heart.
Tomatoes are plentiful in vitamins A and C, as well as heart-healthy antioxidants.
Olives are not too shabby too. They are a rich source of iron and fiber, and their flavorful oil is full of good healthy fats.
Together, these ingredients make for a small but filling healthy sandwich that keeps you energized and focused throughout the day. As with any meal including bread, using whole grain bread ensures you have the healthiest ingredients possible.
8. Healthy Mac and Cheese
Creamy and cheesy macaroni and cheese is the perfect comfort meal you can eat. But the problem is out of the box one is loaded with unhealthy ingredients we can’t even pronounce.
So why not make one that is both delicious and healthy?
It'll be easy, mouth-watering good, and guilt-free with less sodium, no artificial colors, and unknown ingredients. It's good for your stomach and your soul.
Unlike what most people think, it actually doesn’t take that long to make mac and cheese using fresh ingredients.
Ingredients: (sverve 1)
- 3 cups frozen cauliflower florets
- 4 1/2 oz. (about 1 1/4 cups) uncooked high-fiber elbow macaroni
- 1 cup diced onion
- One 7-oz. can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 tbsp. chopped jarred jalapeño slices (about 10 slices)
- 2 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
- 4 wedges Swiss cheese
- 2 slices fat-free American cheese
- Place cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave for 3-4 minutes. Uncover and stir. Cover again and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, until hot.
- Drain excess liquid. Roughly chop cauliflower, return to the bowl, and cover to keep warm.
- In a medium-large pot, cook pasta per package instructions, about 8 minutes. Add the boiled pasta to the cauliflower bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Coat a skillet with a nonstick spray and heat up to medium-high. Cook and stir onion until softened and slightly browned, 4 – 6 minutes.
- Add cooked onion, drained chiles, and jalapeño to the cauliflower and pasta. Stir well, and re-cover to keep warm.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, mix sour cream, cheese wedges, and cheese slices, breaking the wedges and slices into pieces as you add them.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well. Microwave for another 30 seconds, or until cheese is melted. Stir well.
- Add cheese mixture to the large bowl and thoroughly stir. Enjoy!
10. Avocado Chicken Salad
Here is a meal you can totally do meal prep for lunch or dinner the next day.
It's delicious, filling, and totally satisfying. This is also my favorite dish I like to take to potluck parties. It's a crowd-pleasing dish everyone wants a copy of the recipe.
As for weight loss, it has a perfect combo of fat, protein, and carb.
It's a winning recipe for a filling meal that'll last you till the next meal or help you skip sweets at the end of the meal.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 1/2 lb rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halves
- 1/2 cup red onions, sliced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Mix chopped rotisserie chicken with 1/4 tsp of salt, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder in a bowl. Heat it in a microwave for 30 seconds to get the flavor in. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix all the other ingredients except the lime juice, salt and pepper, and olive oil. If you are making this ahead of time, add avocado right before serving.
- Add the chicken to the salad mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil and lime juice. Drizzle the dressing on top of the salad and toss. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Serve and enjoy!
There's nothing like some delicious healthy home-cooked meals.
You know exactly what's in your food because you made it. If you're serious about your health, then cooking at home is a must.
These 10 delicious easy healthy meals will help lose weight effortlessly.