Going on a date with someone you barely know for the first time can be both exciting and frightening.
The chances are, your date might not be a talented conversationalist who can lead and create a flowing conversation, but don’t let this ruin your night.
To ensure the success of your first date and flowing conversation, best thing you can do is to ask questions.
I mean the right questions.
Grilling him/her down on wrong questions like politics, past relationships and money is not only rude but can also be a big turn-off.
Asking the right questions helps the person open up, so you can find out his/her values, beliefs, and dreams in a very natural way.
Here are 16 conversation starter questions to ask on a first date.
If you are going on a date with someone you know for a long time, skip all the questions you already know the answers to, and focus on the ones you genuinely want to know.
16 Questions to Ask On a First Date
- Where are you from? Only if you don’t know.
- Do you have any siblings? Finding out if he is the firstborn, the only child, or only boy out of 5 siblings provides an interesting insight and a glimpse of his family dynamic.
- Do you play any sports? or similarly, what’s your favorite sport? You can tell a lot about a guy based on what sports he plays or is into.
- What’s your sign?
- What do you like to do on weekends? A good conversation opener. Maybe your next date idea will come out of this question.
- Do you drink? if so what’s your favorite drink?
- What’s the last book you read?
- What’s the last movie you watched? This question not only shows how much he keeps up with the latest films but also his favorite movie genre in one.
- Where do you want to travel?
- Do you have any pets?
- Who is your celebrity crush?
- What were you like as a kid?
- What’s on your bucket list? This is my personal favorite!
- Have you been to any good restaurants recently?
- Who do you admire the most?
- Who and what inspires you?
I hope these first date conversation starter questions will help make your experience more enjoyable and even get you a second date!