Reliviate from back pain with these 4 simple lower back exercises.
Lower back pain is surely an obvious problem in our everyday life that we either let it get the best of us, take way too many over-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory pills, or run to the doctor for physical therapy or a surgery.
And you know the pain or spasm is coming (or going to get worse than it already is), because you had a stressful day at work or walked too long in heels or carried your not-so-infant anymore baby in your carrier for far too long.
The good news is that suffering back pain doesn’t have to be part of your daily routine.
Reducing Lower Back Pain with Yoga
Most back and neck pain is muscle related, and exercise such as yoga and stretching may be the most effective way to provide speedy lower back pain treatment and help strengthening back and abdominal muscles, according to Harvard Health (2).
All you need is a few easy-to-do, home friendly exercises to loosen up and restore your posture, and your back will be pain-free in no time.
What you need is just some open space and comfortable clothes to exercise in.
These four simple exercises should always be your first line of “therapy” when you feel a twinge of discomfort… and certainly long before you reach for the pain relievers or muscles relaxants.
A few relaxed sets of each of these exercises can immediately make you feel better and prevent a needless trip to the doctor.
The lower back stretches are Legs up the Wall, Double Knee to Chest, Rock-in-Groin Stretch and Cat and Camel Stretch.
They immediately get the blood moving, release feel-good endorphins, stretch the muscles, restore normal range of motion and help you detox the nasty toxins that cause pain and inflammation.
Strengthening Your Core
They also help you strengthen your core, improve your flexibility, posture and back strength to prevent future back pain. These are the secrets to back pain relief — and prevention.
Since these simple exercises contract and extend the major muscle groups, including the core stabilizing muscles, you can do them anytime with varying degrees of difficulty.
Simply adjust them as you get more accustomed to doing them.
Done regularly (2-3 times a week or more if needed), these beneficial “lower back strethes” will increase your back health and fitness level by promoting blood circulation and releasing muscle tightness and spasms in yout lower back.
They will make you feel warmer and even help improve your digestive health as they assist the action of your intestines to move the bowels and aid in the detoxification process.
Detoxing is important when considering pain, as toxins (metabolic waste) in the blood and muscles creates inflammation and pain.
4 Lower Back Stretches for Back Relief
Let’s now look at how easy it is to do these three simple back pain relief exercises:
Exercise #1 — Leg up the Wall:
- Lie on the back with the buttocks close to a wall. Raise both legs and rest them against the wall next.
- Feel the stretch in the back of the thigh. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat as many times as needed.
Exercise #2 — Double Knee to Chest
- Lie on the back with both knees bent.
- Pull both knees to your chest until a stretch is felt in the buttock/hip area.
- Hold for 20 -30 seconds and relax. Repeat as many times as needed
Exercise #3 — Hip Rock-in-Groin Stretch
- Place your forearms on the floor, kneel with your feet pointed out to the sides. Spread your knees apart and lower your hips until you feel the stretch in the groin area.
- You can rock back and forth slowly to increase the range and effect of the stretch. Hold fo 20-30 seconds each time.
Exercise #4 — Cat and Camel Stretch
- Start on the hands and knees. Let the stomach sag, allowing the back to curve down. Hold this position for five seconds.
- Then arch the back and hold for five seconds. Do three sets of ten.
* This list contains doctor recommended exercises.
The complete series of these four simple exercises only takes about two to three minutes to complete.
By performing this stretch routine repeatedly, you’ll be delighted on how good your low back will start to feel over time.
Do you like this routine and need more easy back pain relief and strengthening exercises to alleviate your constant struggles with back pain?
Grab a copy of Easy Back Pain Relief Exercises to start living a pain free life.
It includes 6 easy routines for home and work and over 50+ back pain exercises.
All of the lower back exercises are home friendly, back friendly exercises that take pressure off of the pain area. Get an immediate access to get started on your back pain cure right now!
- “Treatment of Lower Back Pain.” Treatment of Lower Back Pain. Beaumont Health System, n.d. Web. 10 June 2015.
- “Yoga Can Help Ease Low Back Pain – Harvard Health Blog.” Harvard Health Blog RSS. N.p., 31 Oct. 2011. Web. 20 Aug. 2015.