What Should I Eat to Lose 10 Pounds in a Month?
How many times has this happened to you: you’ve got a beach vacay or family reunion coming up, but you never got around to losing that 10 pounds you meant to lose.
Now that you’re 30 days out from your big event, is it even possible to eat in such a way that you can achieve your weight loss goal by dropping those excess pounds?
The good news is, yes!
And we’ve got the meal plan and recipes to get you to your goal weight. Every meal here is all designed to keep you full of energy, satisfied, and on track to drop 10 pounds from your current weight in one month!
All you have to do is pick from the options below—all delicious and low in calories—to create a personalized weight loss plan. Aim each day for 1 500 calories and you’ll be well on your way to your best slim self.
Is It Realistic to Lose 10 Pounds in a Month?
As long as you stick to the plan, it’s well within reason to lose 8-10 pounds from your current weight over the course of a month. However, one caveat to this exists: if you’re already eating a restrictive diet.
If this is the case, you’ll first need to go through what you’re currently eating with a fine-tooth comb to check for the calories you’re eating now.
Often, we eat far more calories than we think we do, and if that’s the case, weight loss can only happen if you restrict from whatever baseline you’re currently at. To start, you can keep a food journal for a few days to check your current stats!
Once you get your eating sorted out, you can also try upping your exercise and activity level to further augment your weight loss. Fitness really does wonders for your metabolism and calorie deficit. But not to worry, you don’t need a gym membership to start moving!
One of the best workouts to burn calories and fat is cardio that raises the heart rate. Anything from jogging, swimming, to high-intensity HIIT workouts will help slush your calories and boost fat loss.
If you’re super motivated for turbo-charged weight loss, add resistance training on top to build lean muscle mass, which ups your fat-burning even more.
Spreading your meals out to eat up to 500 calories over the first, second, and third parts of the day will keep your energy at peak performance level, and allow the motivation to carry you on to the next day while still losing weight.
Before you know it, 30 days will have passed, you’ll pound trimmer—maybe even at your ideal weight!
Healthy Breakfast Ideas to Eat: 300 Calories
Granted, breakfast isn’t for everyone. And you don’t necessarily have to eat breakfast to lose weight. Take intermittent fasting for example. Skipping breakfast strategically can be part of your weight loss journey. If that’s you, by all means, stick to your black coffee and morning ACV drink till lunch.
But too many of us rely on a filling breakfast to survive the morning hours. But falling for a muffin and bagel will only lead to a sugar rush and a weight gain. Be sure to eat a healthy, balanced meal that keeps your calories in check and helps you eat less the rest of your day.
Makes 4 servings
- steel-cut oats: 1 cup
- 3 beaten eggs
- cinnamon: 1/8 tsp
- avocado oil: 2 tbsp
- cottage cheese: 1 cup
- brown sugar: 2 tsp
- ground flaxseeds: 1tsp
- maple syrup to drizzle- 1 tsp optional
- butter – 1 tsp optional
- Warm a skillet over medium heat, adding avocado oil. In a large blender, add all ingredients and blend.
- Pour pancake batter and cook until both sides are golden brown and done. It makes about 12 small pancakes.
- Serve with 1 teaspoon butter and maple syrup on top if desired.
Egg and Mozzarella Sandwich
Makes 1 serving
- whole-grain English muffin
- 1 turkey sausage patty
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites, scrambled
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 2 slices tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- Tost your English muffin using a toaster. Spread the mayonnaise and mustard on both slices.
- Layer your turkey patty, eggs, cheese, and spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Wrap with a sandwich wrap to take it on-the-go.
Sausage Omelet Breakfast
Makes 1 serving
- 1 apple-chicken sausage link, diced
- 1/4 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 egg white, beaten
- cooking oil: 1 tsp (or use cooking spray)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp hot sauce or 1 teaspoon chili powder -optional
- 1/4 cup carrot sticks
- 1 slice whole-wheat toast – optional
- Beat your egg in a mixing bowl and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat and add half the cooking oil. Add the sausage, zucchini, and bell pepper along with chili powder if using and cook till tender. Season with salt and pepper and move to a plate.
- Add the other half of the cooking oil and adjust the heat to medium. Add the egg mixture and cook until set.
- Remove to plate and spread the sausage ingredients over half the omelet. Fold-over to create half-moon omelet shape. Enjoy with hot sauce if desired. Serve with carrot sticks on the side. Whole-wheat toast is optional. Skip white bread.
Berry Low-Carb Smoothie
If you are following a low-carb ketogenic diet and in need to balance your macronutrients, try this low-carb keto smoothie.
It’s delicious, berry fruity, yet loaded with healthy fat to help you fule your body’s energy and kick your body into ketosis. The best part is, it only takes 3 ingredients. Grab this keto smoothie recipe here.
Overnight Chia Pudding
If you are into meal prep and looking for something that’s easy to prep and store in the fridge for the next day, this breakfast is for you. This overnight chia pudding is a perfect make-ahead breakfast where you can do all your prep the night before to enjoy in the morning.
It’s also a healthy way to curve your sweet cravings and keep you full for longer. With just 337 calories per cup, you are a step closer to your weight-loss goal!
Under 500-Calorie Lunch Options
These lunch ideas will keep your calorie intake low and help you lose weight. Eating fewer calories throughout the day while still keeping your grams of protein high will help you lose weight without feeling hungry!
Best all off, these healthy lunches don’t make you feel like you are on a calorie restriction. In fact, you’ll be looking forward to your next lunch break!
Soba Shrimp Noodle Salad
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1.5 oz soba noodles, dry (sub with whole wheat pasta noodle if not accessible)
- 2 oz raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup sugar snap peas, cooked
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
For the Dressing:
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (or coconut aminos if you are on Paleo diet)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes – optional
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger -optional
- Cook your soba noodle following the package directions. Drain and toss it with 1/2 tsp of sesame oil to prevent the noodles from sticking. Set it aside.
- Make the peanut butter dressing by combining all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Whisk until combined and smooth. Add water to thin if desired. Also, if you want to add a refreshing kick to it, add ground ginger to the dressing. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Toss the shrimp with the remaining sesame oil. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Toss the noodle with the dressing and all the other ingredients including the shrimp. Serve it and enjoy it. For office lunch, put it in a Tupperware.
Grilled Chicken and Couscous Salad
- 1/4 cup couscous, cooked
- 1/4 tomato chopped
- 1/8 canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/8 diced avocado
- 3 ounce chicken breast, grilled
- In a mixing bowl, combine the couscous, tomato, avocado chickpeas, basil, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season it with salt and pepper. Move to a plate and set aside.
- Cut the grilled chicken into strips and place them on top of the salad. Serve and enjoy!
Tuna and Carrot Salad Wrap
Ingredients – serves 1:
- 1/3 cup carrot, shredded (about 1/2 carrot)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 chopped walnuts
- 1/2 can tuna
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 dash salt
- one 8″ whole-grain wrap
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices cucumber, thin
- Make the tuna and carrot salad by combining all the ingredients up to mayonnaise. Add a dash of salt to season.
- Place the lettuce and cucumber slices on top of the 8-inch whole-grain wrap. Place the tuna salad on top and roll up and eat!
Weight-Loss Friendly Lunch Takeout Ideas
Striving for 10 pounds of weight loss doesn’t mean you have to forego eating out altogether. Here is a list of convenient takeout lunch ideas that won’t break your calorie intake for the day!
They’re all loaded with sufficient grams of protein to keep you feeling full and help you eat fewer calories throughout the day. Just be sure to pick healthy options that are withing your calorie consumption to lose 10 pounds in a month.
- Starbucks Tomato, Spinach & Egg White Wrap (290 calories)
- Subway turkey sandwich (219 calories)
- Panera Greek Vegetable Salad (410 calories)
Dinner Ideas Under 500 Calories
Next up, a list of 1500-calories a day diet dinner options to help you along with weight loss. When you want to lose 10 pounds in a month, making it past to dinner time feels like you’re on the home stretch.
These DIY dinners are great for every day and will keep your diet towards weight loss solidly on track.
Veggie Burger on Coleslaw
Makes 2 servings
Veggie Burger Ingredients:
- 1/2 can of kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/5 tablespoon bbq sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin -optional
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika -optional
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup cooked sweet potato
- 1/8 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chilies
- Dash of salt
Coleslaw Salad Ingredients:
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Veggie patty Directions: Drain and mash the kidney beans in a mixing bowl (or use a food processor). Add the remaining ingredients under the veggie burger into the bowl and mix. Once combined, make 2 patties.
- Coat the pan with cooking spray and pan-fry the patties over medium-high heat. Flip the patties midway. When done, move to a plate and set aside. Alternatively, you can bake the patties on a baking dish in the oven.
- Colesway directions: Combine the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Add the mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar. Season it with salt and pepper and toss to coat well.
- Serve the patty over the coleslaw.
Stir-Fry Teriyaki Chicken With Brown Rice
Makes 2 servings
- 2 butterfly chicken breast, cut into slices
- 4 oz bag of mixed stir-fry veggies (red bell peppers, broccoli, green beans, carrots, etc)
- 2 Swiss chard leaves, chopped
- Garlic – 1 clove optional
Teriyaki sauce ingredients:
- 1 tbsp water
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce (coconut amino if following paleo diet)
- 1 tsp honey or 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- dash of salt
- 1 cup of brown rice – optional
- Cook the brown rice according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. When heated, add 1 teaspoon of the oil and coat the skillet surface. Add the chicken breast slices and cook until fully cooked. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the other 1 teaspoon of oil to the skillet and saute garlic clove for a minute before adding the frozen veggies. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and cook for another minute. Return the chicken to the skillet.
- Make teriyaki sauce by combining the water, soy sauce, and honey in a small bowl. Pour over the veggies and chicken. Stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes and cover the skillet to steam for another minute.
- Serve the stir-fry chicken over the brown rice and serve the extra sauce as a gravy. If you want to go low-carb to lose the extra weight, skip the rice and serve over cauliflower rice and mushrooms.
Makes 2 servings
- 6-ounce tilapia fillet (or cod)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- dash of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 2 6″ corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/8 avocado, diced
- tabasco as desired
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- In a shallow bowl, mix the spices, salt, 1 tsp avocado oil, and lime juice. Add the fish and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a nonstick pan over medium-high heat, add the other 1 tsp avocado oil. Add the fish and cook until the fish is fully cooked about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside. To toast tortillas, you can use a toaster oven, grill, or pan.
- Assemble the taco by placing the cooked fish over a tortilla with red cabbage, lettuce, and tomatoes. Top with avocado and cheese. Garnish with the cilantro and tabasco.
Healthy Takeout Dinner Ideas
Lunch isn’t the only time take-out becomes tempting. Here are several popular restaurant meals for dinner to help you as you continue to lose your weight. Be cautious with eating out—you don’t want to sabotage all the weight loss you’ve achieved and it can be easy to over-indulge while out to eat. We’ve all done it, but if you’re serious about losing weight—10 pounds in 30 days—you’ll only go out for one or two meals during the month.
- Buddha’s Feast without rice from PF Chang (380 calories)
- California Cobb Salad -Half from CPK(480 calories)
10 LBS Weight Loss Diet Plan Snacks
To lose 10 pounds in a month, it’s essential you eat fewer calories a day than you are used to. But this doesn’t mean, you need to skip snacks while on a diet.
Foods like nuts, fruits, and yogurts can help curve hunger pangs and help you stay on the course to lose weight.
To help you snack healthy, here are options under 150 calories. But be careful not to let that delude you into thinking you can eat them all day, every day! Instead, stick to your weight loss goals and diet planning and just stick to one between meals.
This will keep your overall calories in check and send you on your way to lose 10 pounds by the end of the month.
- 1 cup of applesauce with whole-grain crackers
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup berries
- 1 oz blue cheese with 1/8 pear, sliced
- 1 cup skim milk with a handful of almonds
- 1 cup fruit cup