Smoothie bowl or acai bowl is like a smoothie but much thicker and uses the frozen acai fruit. Some people like to call it a superfruit smoothie bowl.
They’re super healthy and very good for you.
‘Acai Berry’ is a Brazillian berry harvested from the acai palm tree. It takes the name ‘Beauty Berry”
It’s pronounced “AH-SIGH-EE” and known as the “Beauty Berry”.
It’s considered one of the most nutritious foods on the planet and tastes just like a blend of berries and chocolate.
Acai berries are nutritious and packed with iron, calcium, fiber, and Vitamin A.
They are also full of omegas and antioxidants.
Like other berries, they are low in sugar and calories, making them a perfect ingredient for a smoothie bowl.
Acai smoothie bowls are a blend of fruits, seeds, and nuts. They are packed with essential vitamins and minerals from the wholesome ingredients that are used to make them.
While depending on the recipe, you may have a different set of nutrients, Acai bowls are typically rich in fiber, antioxidants, and Vitamin A and C (1).
How to Make a Smoothie Bowl (Acai Bowl)
Making a smoothie bowl is pretty simple, it’s somewhat similar to making a smoothie.
You start with the main ingredients like frozen berries, banana and veggies. You can also add mix-ins like yogurt, granola, or avocado.
Next, add your liquid whether it’s coconut water, almond milk, or something else.
Blend it and pour the rich purple base into a bowl.
It then gets topped with some more superfood toppings like honey, fresh fruits, cacao, and coconut flakes.
The best part of the Acai smoothie bowls is definitely the toppings.
You can keep it simple or go over-the-top.
I prefer to keep it somewhat simple with just a handful of toppings. My favorites are coconut flakes, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and cacao nibs. As the finishing touch, a drizzle of honey adds a bit of sweetness.
These toppings bring added nutrients, fiber, antioxidants, and protein.
While the finishing look may look as elaborate as a smoothie bowl can be, the Acai bowl is pretty easy to make.
In fact, this recipe only has 4 essential building-blocks. A pack of acai, frozen fruits, mixed-ins like cacao powder and granola, and liquid.
As for the cooking equipment, there is only one thing you need, a blender. With just 5 minutes to spare, you have yourself a nutrient-packed smoothie bowl to start your day.
Out of all the acai bowl recipes, I tried and tweaks I made, here is my ultimate go-to recipe.
It’s completely beginner-friendly and fail-proof!
So let’s get to it. Here is my favorite acai bowl smoothie recipe:Print
Here’s an easy recipe to make an acai bowl from scratch using wholesome, plant-based ingredients. Acai bowl or smoothie bowl is one of the most delicious dish you can make to enjoy. They’re packed with antioxidants, fiber, omegas, vitamins and minerals. Once you have it, you’re going to love it and make it a repeat recipe!
- 1 acai original blend pack
- 1/2 banana (frozen)
- 1/2 cup of mixed berries (frozen)
- 1/4 cup of granola
- 2 tbsp of coconut chips
- 1 tbsp of cacao powder
- 2 tbsp of flax seeds
- 1/4 cup of coconut water
- 1/4 small banana, sliced
- 2 tbsp of coconut chips
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp raw honey to drizzle
1. In a blender, add the frozen fruits and mixed-ins including the flaxseeds and granola. Break up your acai pack as you add it to the blender. Pour in the liquid at the end and close the lid. Depending on your blender, it may be easier on the blades if you add the liquid first.
2. Blend on low until larger chunks are broken down. Gradually increase speed until it blends to a thick consistency. In a few minutes, it should reach the consistency of soft-serve. It should be thicker than smoothies but softer than sorbet.
3. Pour into a bowl and add your toppings. Drizzle the honey on top if you like added sweetness. Serve and enjoy!
Also, if you are trying to up your protein intake, you can add in your favorite protein powder. I’d say vanilla, chocolate, or berry flavors would go perfectly with this acai bowl.
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: Tropical
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 619
- Sugar: 45 g
- Sodium: 137 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 86 g
- Fiber: 21 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Cholesterol: o mg
Keywords: Smoothie Bowl, Acai Bowl
Acai Bowl Health Benefits
If you are looking for a sweet treat that’ll nourish your body and bring loads of health benefits, an acai bowl is a perfect choice.
It’s full of antioxidants that fight again aging and keep your health in tip-top shape.
In fact, acai berries contain more antioxidants than any other plant-foods (2).
They score high on the ORAC scale, showing 10 times more antioxidants than cranberries.
They contain even more antioxidants than cocoa powder, goji berries, and blueberries.
Given the benefits of antioxidants, it’s a great way to boost your health.
The Last Word
If you’ve never had this chocolatey delightful acai berries, try this delicious acai bowl.
I hope you try the recipe and leave me a comment to let me know how yours came out.
- “Pure Acai Berry Unsweetened Nutrition Facts & Calories.” Nutrition Data Know What You Eat., nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/2792035/2.
- Jorgustin, Ken, et al. “ORAC Value: Top 100 High Antioxidant Foods – Berries – Spices – Herbs.” Modern Survival Blog, 10 Jan. 2020, modernsurvivalblog.com/health/high-orac-value-antioxidant-foods-top-100/.