When you think of a flat tummy, you may wonder how many crunches you will have to do every day to get one of your own. Actually, in order to obtain a perfect set of flat toned abs, you must work the surrounding muscles as well. Crunches isolate just the upper or lower ab muscles and do nothing to tone the supporting ones.
Exercises that tone various parts of your body also tone your abs, both directly and indirectly. This results in an all over fit and toned body, with a nice set of flat stomach as a bonus. Below is a list of 35 highly effective exercises that will not only help you to burn excess fat and calories, but will also strengthen your arms, butt, abs and legs to give you an overall perfectly toned physique without having to perform a single crunch
1. Lie face down on the floor, hands beside your shoulders, palms facing down. Your legs should be straight out behind you, toes touching .
2. Tighten your abs and press your palms against the floor, straightening your arms. Bend your elbows and slowly lower yourself back to the ground, but do not let your chest touch it. This counts as one push-up.
2. One Arm Cable Chest Press
1. Stand with your back to a cable tower, grasping a cable in your left hand. The cable should be roughly shoulder height. Lift up your left foot off the floor and balance yourself on the right foot.
2. Tighten your abs and slowly extend your left arm straight in front of you. Pull your left hand back to your side using your shoulder blade, keeping your core and abdominals as tight as possible throughout the entire exercise.
3. Switch sides and repeat.
3. Exercise Ball Dumbbell One-Arm Chest Press:
1. Start with your shoulder blades resting on the exercise ball and your hips lifted up to form a straight line from your shoulders to the knees. Hold a dumbbell in one hand at the side of your armpit.
2. Keeping your core engaged and maintaining your posture, press the dumbbell straight up to the center of your chest until your arm is fully extended without locking your elbow.
3. Pause, then slowly lower the dumbbell to back to the side of your armpit until your elbow almost touches the ball. Repeat for a prescribed number of repetitions.
4. Switch sides.
Read more about Stability Ball One Arm Dumbbell Chest Press.
4. TRX Inverted Row
1. Set your TRX bands so the handles are slightly below chest height.
2. Grasp the handles with an overhand grip and walk out with your feet so that your arms are completely extended and your back is parallel to the floor.
3. Your body should be in a straight line with only your feet touching the floor. Tighten your abs and pull your body upward until your elbows are by your sides. Hold for 2 seconds, and then return to the starting position.
Read more about TRX Inverted Row.
5. Alternating Bent-Over Row
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and a dumbbell in each hand. Slightly bend your knees and bend forward at the waist, keeping your back straight. Your back should be almost parallel to the floor.
2. Let your arms hang directly in front of you. Tighten your abs, bend your elbows and slowly bring one weight to your side, then slowly lower it back to the starting position.
3. Repeat with the other side.
6. Split Stance Single-Arm Cable Row
1. Stand facing a cable tower, with the handles roughly waist height. Stand in a split stance, with your right leg forward and your left leg behind you.
2. Grasping the cable handle with your left hand, tighten your abs and pull the cable to your waist.
3. Perform as many reps as you want on this side, then perform as many reps as you want with your right leg behind you and your left leg in front, grasping the cable with your right hand.
1. Stand facing a chin up bar and grasp it with an overhand grip. Bend your knees so that your feet are facing directly behind you. This is the starting position.
2. Tighten your abs and pull your body upward until your chin clears the bar. Slowly lower your body back to the starting position. This is one chin up.
8. Alternating Press With Twist
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and a dumbbell in each hand. Raise the dumbbells to your shoulder.
2. Tighten your abs and rotate your torso to the right, pressing the left dumbbell up toward the ceiling.
3. Reverse the movement to come back to the starting position and then repeat with the other arm.
9. Sumo Dead Lift
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart with a dumbbell in the middle of your feet. Squat and grasp the dumbbell with an overhand grip
2. Tighten your abs and lift the dumbbell by straightening your legs and standing up straight.
3. Squat back down to lower the dumbbell.
10. Exercise Ball Hip Raise to Leg Curl
1. Lie on your back on the floor with your lower legs and heels on an exercise ball. Stretch your arms out to the side with your palms facing up.
2. Tighten your abs and glutes, and then raise your hips off the ground until your body is in a straight line from your shoulders to your knees.
3. Without stopping, pull your feet toward you, rolling the ball toward your glutes. Slowly reverse the move to return to the starting position.
11. Barbell Cross Over Step-Ups
1. Stand on the right side of a sturdy chair and hold a barbell behind your neck.
2. Tighten your abs and bring your right foot across the front of your body and step up onto the seat of the chair, bringing your left knee to your chest.
3.Step down off of the left side of chair. Repeat the move with your left leg.
12. Lateral Bands Walks
1. Put both of your legs into a mini band and bring the band up so that it sits right below your knees.
2. Tighten your abs and begin taking small steps to your left for roughly 20 feet.
3. Take small steps back to your right until you are back in the starting position.
13. Side-Lying Clamshell
1. Lie on your left side with your left arm under your head for support. Rest your other hand on your hip. Bend your knees to a 45 degree angle.
2. Keeping your feet together, tighten your abs, and spread your knees as far apart as possible. Repeat as many times as possible and then repeat on the opposite side.
14. Bird Dog
1. Get on the floor on your hands and knees.
2. Keeping your abdominals tight, extend your right leg straight behind you while simultaneously extending your left arm straight in front of you.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat on the opposite side.
1. Get into position as if you are about to do a push-up. Instead of placing your hands on the floor, rest your body on your forearms.
2. Raise your hips off of the floor so that your body is in a straight line. Only your forearms and toes should be touching the floor. Hold this position as long as possible, keeping your abdominals tight.
16. Plank to Pushup
1. Start out in plank position.
2. slowly put your hands on the ground, one at a time, until you are in a push-up position. Your arms should be straight. Hold the position for 2 seconds, and then slowly lower yourself back down, placing one forearm at a time on the ground.
17. Side Plank
1. Lie on one side with your legs straight.
2. Prop yourself up on your forearm with your other arm straight by your side. Tighten your abs and lift your hips off the ground. Hold this position as long as you can.
18. Side Plank with Rotation
1. Start in a push-up position.
2. When your arms are fully extended, slowly rotate your body to one side and extend that arm up toward the ceiling. Your abs should be tight and your hips off of the floor. Hold for 2 seconds and then slowly return to the starting position. Repeat on the other side.
19. Kneeling Cable Row
1. Start in a kneel down on both knees on a yoga mat or towel facing a cable machine about 3 to 4 feet away. Grab the handles with your hands, palms facing in, and let your arm hang forward.
2. Pull the handles towards your body. hold for 2 seconds and return to the starting position by straightening your arms.
20. Planking Frog Tucks
1.Start in a push-up position.
2. With your arms fully extended, tighten your abs and bring your right foot forward so that it is beside your right hand.
3. Straighten this leg back to the starting position, and bring your left foot forward so that is beside your left hand. Repeat as many times as you can.
21. One Leg Plank:
1. Start out in standard plank position. Tighten your abs and lift your hips so that only your forearms and toes are touching the floor.
2. Raise your right leg toward the ceiling as high as you can. Hold this position for 30 seconds, and then switch legs.
22. Rolling Plank
Start out in the side plank position. With your hips lifted off the ground, slowly roll into a regular plank position with both of your forearms on the floor. Hold this position for a few seconds, and then roll to the other side into the side plank position. Continue rolling from side to side like this for as long as you can.
23. Side Plank with Row
Attach a resistance band to a low, secure object. Get into a side plank position, facing the resistance band. With your free hand, grab the resistance band handle. Raise your hips off the floor and pull the band towards your ribs. You should feel a great deal of resistance from the band. Hold this position for as long as you can and then switch sides.
24. Exercise Ball Push-Up
1. Start out in push-up position. Let your lower legs rest on top of an exercise ball.
2. Keeping your abs tight, hold the ball still with your legs and perform push-ups.
25.Cable Hip Flexion
Set up a cable pulley machine’s cable at the lowest level (your ankle level) and attach the ankle strap to your left ankle. Stand up straight with good posture facing away from the cable machine, engage your stomach muscles( abs). While balancing your body with the right leg, lift your left knee in front of your body. Return to the starting position without losing your balance. Repeat 10 times and switch sides.
26. Low Cable Chops
Stand beside a cable tower with the cable in the highest position. With your left side facing the cable, grasp the handle with your left hand, and then take a step to the right. Reach across your body and grasp the cable with your right hand also. With your feet shoulder-width apart, tighten your abs and pull the cable down across your body to the lower right side. Pivot on your toes as you do this move. Repeat on the other side.
27. Side Plank with Leg Up
Start in a side plank position. As you lift your hips off of the ground, extend your top leg up toward the ceiling. Hold this for 2 seconds, and then slowly return to the starting position.
28. Exercise Roll Out
Kneel on the floor, grasping both handles of an ab wheel with an overhand grasp. With the wheel on the floor, slowly roll it forward until your body is in a straight line. Tightening your abs, slowly roll the wheel back to your knees until you are in the starting position.
29. Swiss Ball Pike
Start in a push-up position with the tops of your feet resting on an exercise ball. Tighten your abs and pull your feet toward you, so that the ball is near your chest. Your hips should be bent and pointed toward the ceiling. Hold for 2 seconds and slowly roll the ball back to the starting position.
30. Cable Core Press
Stand with your back to a cable tower, with the cable in the middle position. Grasp the cable handle with your right hand and take a large step forward. Grasp the cable handle with both hands and extend your arms straight out in front of you. Hold for 2 seconds, and then return to the starting position.
31. Med Ball Slam
Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart. Holding a medicine ball with both hands, tighten your abs, and press the medicine ball straight overhead toward the ceiling. Rise up on your toes and slam the medicine ball onto the ground. Pick the medicine ball back up and repeat.
32. Exercise Ball Body Saw
Start in a plank position with your toes on a slippery surface. A towel on a hardwood floor works well. Tighten your abs and lift your hips off the floor, pulling your toes toward you as far as possible. Hold for 2 seconds, and then extend your legs back straight.
33. Exercise Ball Decline Push-ups
Starting in a push-up position, let the tops of your feet rest on an exercise ball. Perform push-ups in this position.
34. Cable Pull through
Stand with your back facing a cable tower with the cable in the lowest position. With your feet shoulder-width apart, bend your knees, reach between your legs with both hands and grasp the cable handle. Take a step forward. With your knees bent and your back straight, pull the cable straight out in front of you. Hold for 2 seconds, and then return to the starting position.
35. Step-up to Balance
1. Stand facing a stable chair or an exercise step. Place your left foot on the center of the chair or step.
2. Step up, balancing on your left leg with your right knee bent.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat on the opposite leg.